Red Red Bobbin
Our professional quilting services are performed on our Gammill longarm machines (Yes, we have two). Our stitching pattern offerings run from simple pantographs (often called edge-to-edge, overall or roll patterns) to totally custom-designed motifs to compliment every block and aspect of your quilt. We are always mindful of the piecing and handwork as well as your pocketbook. Please check the Gallery for examples of our work.
When a quilt comes in we measure, measure and remeasure while assessing the quality of workmanship and squareness. There are several things to keep in mind when preparing your quilt for longarm quilting which, in the long run, will save you money. Here are the major considerations.
1) Pressing – ensure your quilt top is well pressed to avoid wrinkles becoming pleats in the final product and that dark shadows do not appear in light areas.
2) Clipping – clip all threads and frays to prevent them from showing up in light areas.
3) Seams – check that all seams are strong, especially those in outer borders. We recommend stay-stitching the perimeter of your quilt when your borders are pieced.
4) Backing and batting – allow 4” all around for longarm quilting. For example, if your quilt top measures 60” x 80” then the backing and batting should be at least 68” x 88”.
Note: any pressing, clipping, seam repair, serging, pre-washing or back piecing work required for your quilt will be billed at an hourly rate of $25.00
To help you finish your quilt we offer a multi-phase binding service – here’s how it works. Bring us the yardage for your binding when you drop off your quilt and we’ll cut it, join it at 45 degree angles and press it for a perfect 1.25 inch double French binding. You can sew the binding to your quilt and finish it by hand, have us sew it on and you finish it, or ask us to do the complete job. Let's get that quilt off the sewing table and onto the bed of a loved one. Surcharge applies to batiks, synthetics and bias.
Binding Services Pricing:
1. Cut, join and press only - $0.10 cents per inch
2. All of #1 plus we sew it on your quilt and you hand finish - $0.15 cents per inch
3. All of #2 plus we hand finish the sewing of your binding - $0.35 cents per inch
Please contact us with any questions you may have about this service.